Subject: Re: Relation of /tmp and swap?
To: None <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Elmar Kolkman <kolkmae@la1.apd.dec.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/22/1997 10:23:44
You all wrote:
> >Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 10:55:10 -0800 (PST)
> >From: Rainer Doemer <rainer@pal-ts1-077.slip.uci.edu>
>
> >In my system /tmp (and /var/tmp) both use space on the root partition,
> >where not much space is left. My swap partition is almost empty
> >all the time (I have 16Mb RAM), so it would be perfekt if /tmp
> >uses that space.
> >Do I have to mount /tmp onto the swap partition? (If yes, how?)
>
> See mount_mfs(8) and mdconfig(8) (which is rdconfig(8) if you're not
> running a recent version of -current).  Note that neither will work
> without the appropriate kernel support; 'options MFS' and
> 'pseudo-device md N', respectively.

Well, I should think there is another possibility. Why not define
a RAM-disk ?

I'm not sure if the memory allocated by NetBSD's RAM-disk-device can be
swapped if the memory is needed, but if so, it would certainly work.

				Elmar
--
Alp =	1) One of a number of ski mountains in Europe
	2) A shouted request for assistance made by a European skier in

This mail was brought to you by:

		Elmar Kolkman.

He can be reached as 'kolkmae@apd.dec.com' or 'elmar@usn.nl'