Subject: gdb: virtual memory exhausted: can't allocate 3416224 bytes
To: 'netbsd-help@netbsd.org' <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Christiansen (NT) <davidchr@microsoft.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/20/1997 17:37:26
	Whenever I try to debug a (rather large) program, I get this message
from gdb.  However, I don't get any kind of console message (e.g.,
"refused malloc for xxx bytes"), and my machine doesn't swap while
attempting it.  Is there a non-obvious upper limit on memory allocations
with NetBSD 1.2/i386, or could this be a bug in gdb?

	I doubt that it's actually running out of swap-- the machine doesn't
really *do* anything, and the swap partition is around 64Mb in size
(it's also a fairly loud disk, so I'd guess I'd hear it if the box were
actually paging).

	Does this sound like anything?  Have I forgotten to torch the
appropriate animal?  :-)

---
Dave Christiansen