Subject: Re: Edquota file contents
To: Matthew Patton <patton@sysnet.net>
From: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/19/1997 11:24:41
compile a kernel with QUOTA support (currently only on ffs)
I created /quotas directory first.
run quotacheck in /etc/rc before mounting.
run quotaon
excertp of my fstab:

/dev/sd0a / ffs rw 1 1
/dev/sd0b none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sd0e /var ffs rw,userquota=/quotas/var.user,groupquota=/quotas/var.group 1 2
/dev/sd0f /usr ffs rw 1 2
/dev/sd3e /home ffs rw,userquota=/quotas/home.user,groupquota=/quotas/home.group 1 2
/dev/sd0b /tmp mfs rw,-s=48000 0 0

I refrained from quotas on / and instead stopped people writing to it.
edquota does not give me a blank vi-page but instead something like this:

Quotas for user guest:
/var: blocks in use: 0, limits (soft = 3000, hard = 1000)
	inodes in use: 1, limits (soft = 50, hard = 10)
/home: blocks in use: 1763, limits (soft = 12000, hard = 8000)
	inodes in use: 362, limits (soft = 600, hard = 400)
all soft and hard values are 0 the first time since no quota is
set. soft is the real maximum and hard is a maximum enforced
after a few days (7?). Change the soft and hard values to your
choice and then use one user as prototype for others:
edquota -u -p guest fredblogs
Manuals other than fstab can be found with
locate quota :-)
Cheerio
	Andrew
--
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity. (Mark Twain)
current	release=doc host=netbsd.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"