Subject: Re: install question - i386 ifconfig
To: None <rwsimmon@ee.utah.edu>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/18/1997 13:38:45
According to Roger Simmons:

>I am trying to install NetBSD 1.2 i386(via ftp) on a Compaq Deskpro 4/66i
>I can get as far as the shell(configured disk ok) but have problems configuring
>my network card (have tried both Intel EtherExpress & NE2k)

Have you checked with the install notes about where the ethernet board
needs to be to be found?  According to what I have for a EtherExpress
the numbers are:

ie0     0x360   7       iomem 0xd0000
ie1     0x300   10      iomem 0xd0000

These are the only locations that will work with the distribution
kernel - once you have a running system you can change this by
reconfiguring the kernel.

>I have spent over 8 hours trying different things(different IRQ's & port
>addresses) nothing seems to work.

A quick read of the install notes may have helped a lot here ;-)

>when I do ifconfig -a I get
>	le0

Are you _sure_ this says le0 NOT lo0??? If it is le0 then that is the
ethernet interface but that device does not match with your other
statements (le0 is for PCI ethernet cards)

>	sl0  <- pretty sure it says sl but do not see this in the INSTALL list
>	sl1

They are slip interfaces - for doing IP over the serial lines.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.