Subject: installing 1.2 sun3
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Deker <deker@digex.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/15/1997 20:48:21
I'm trying to install 1.2 on a sun 3/60 that has a sun shoebox containing
a micropolis 1325 and a sun QIC-150 tape drive. I get the netbsd-rd kernel
to boot via NFS just fine, but whn it's starting up I get the messag:

 si0 at obio0 addr 0x140000 level 2: options=1
 scsibus0 at si0
 si0: parity error!
 si0: parity error!
 si0: parity error!
 si0: parity error!
 ncr5380_machine: unexpected disconnect.
 si0: parity error!
 si0: parity error!
 si0: parity error!
 si0: parity error!
 si0: parity error!
 ncr5380_machine: unexpected disconnect.
 si0: parity error!
 st0 at scsibus0 targ 4 lun 0: <, , > SCSI1 1/sequential removable
 st0: rogue, drive empty

after all this, I atempt an edlabel (just in case) and get:

ssh: edlabel /dev/rsd0c
/dev/rsd0c: Device not configured

This makes sense to me. What does not make sense is the fact that I can
boot SunOS off of this disk just fine (except it won't remount rw, but
that's just cause the FS is toast). Is netbsd looking for something
hardware-wise that SunOS isn't? or does the emulex card need to be set
different for parity or something? Anybody else seen anything like this?

Thanks in advance

rob

"Off the keyboard, through the CPU, | deker@digex.net
out the transceiver, down the rj45  | Systems Engineer
line, across the router, through    |
the Hub, out the gateway.           |
        Nothing but net."           |