Subject: Re: hp300 problems
To: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
From: Klaus Klein <kleink@layla.inka.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/14/1997 20:21:12
> > I installed a netbsd-1.2 on a hp360 and ran into few problems:
> >
> > 1. The generic kernel works only with an US-Keyboard, not with my
> >    German keyboard.
> >
> 	Well it has options for US, UK & Swedish keymaps.
> 	To add a german keymap my guess is you'll need to edit
> 	'/sys/arch/hp300/dev/kbdmap.h' and add the code for your
> 	keyboard, then edit '/sys/arch/hp300/dev/hil_keymaps.c'
> 	and add the mapping (just copy the nearest mapping to
> 	a 'de_{key,shift,ctrl,ctrlshift,string}map'), then edit
> 	your config file & recompile.

He probably won't come that far: due to a bug in the stock 1.2 HIL
driver, a "null" keymap will be assigned to an unknown keyboard type,
which is completely unusable. I PR'ed this, and a fix was applied to
-current. The initial SYS_INSTALL doesn't distinguish between
keymaps and therefore gives you just a US Ascii, but otherwise
usable, keymap.

[Actually, I had to cross-compile a modified kernel on a i386 and put
it onto the miniroot-fs, using another big-endian machine for that.]

Werner, I can produce a capable 1.2 miniroot image for you; contact me
in private email if you're interested.

> 	Either way if you use 'send-pr' to submit the new maps back to
> 	netbsd.org I'm sure someone will add them in for the next
> 	version (and any other German keyboard users out there :)

If I were satisfied with my own german keymap, I would have already
submitted it. The point is that the german HP layout must have been
designed by someone who doesn't seem to have the faintest idea about
Unix system administration. I think you'll get the point ;-)

-- Klaus Klein <kleink@layla.inka.de>