Subject: ppp on parallel port
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul M. Newhouse <newhouse@pimin.diac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/09/1997 18:28:02
I'm looking at upgrading my home connection to ISDN.  Looking around at all
the possible ways to do this I ran across the USR Courier I-modem external.
It connects to a parallel port.  Which is pretty cool when it comes to dealing
with bandwidth constraints on serial ports (115200bps).

Q1: Can you run ppp on a NetBSD(i386) parallel port?
    If yes: Q1a: Are there any special configuration entries?
			Q1b: Is anybody running one of these on NetBSD?
				 Would like to here from you.

Q2: Anyone care to suggest a good way to go connecting to ISDN?
    I've got 3-NetBSD PC's (two running analog connections) and one Win95,
	already connected by ethernet.

I've been looking around for a "null modem" parallel cable so I could do some
speed tests between two machines. Nobody seems to understand what I'm talking
about.  I think I must not be using the commonly used name for this cable.

Q3: Does anybody know what this cable (assuming it commonly exists) is called?
    (By "commonly exists" I mean a cable that you'd expect a well provisioned
	computer store to have on the shelf.)

Thanks,
Paul

pimin@diac.com