Subject: NetBSD i386/NCR 53c825/HP C3725S incompatibility; alternate HD
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael D. Melez <myk@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/03/1997 13:25:28
Hi,

In November I posted a message to the list regarding a problem I was having
installing NetBSD on a machine with an NCR 8251S (53c825) SCSI host adapter
and an HP C3725S hard drive. Jukka Partanen responded with helpful
information on a driver patch which solves a problem between NetBSD, the
host adapter, and some HP drives, but a patched kernel-copy floppy made by
a friend failed to install giving me the same errors.

I'd like to buy a second (internal) hard drive for the machine so I can
install NetBSD on it.  Can anyone recommend 2-3 GB drives (models, or
perhaps manufacturers) they've used with an NCR 53c825 SCSI host adapter
without problems?  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
  myk

Parts of original thread:

>> I'm having problems installing NetBSD 1.2 i386.  After specifying my hard
>> drive configuration information and answering "yes" to the question asking
>> me if I want to go past the "point of no return", I get a series of errors,
>> most of which look like the following:
>>
>> sd0(ncr0:0:0): command aborted, data = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

	[...]

>	This sounds like the problem I had about six months ago with
>	the NCR driver and HP 3725S disks. Apparently some HP disks
>	don't support tagged commands properly. Wolfgang Stanglmaier
>	provided this fix, and I thought it had been integrated into
>	current (the entry must be modified to catch the 6039 version
>	too).

	[...]

Michael D. Melez, Web Developer      408.459.5430 (work)
Admissions & Enrollment Management   myk@cats.ucsc.edu (work)
University of California Santa Cruz  myk@paranoia.com (personal)