Subject: Re: locks at "changing root device"
To: None <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/17/1996 12:59:47
According to Rick Byers:

>Our news server's hard drive recently crashed, so I replaced it with an
>identical model (ST31200N), using the exact same disklabel.  I reinstalled
>NetBSD 1.2 on the new drive using the INSTALLADP kernel (although I did
>compile a couple of my own with the same results).  It boots up fine to
>the point where it says "changing root device to sd0a", and then stops.

You _do_ have a swap partition (labelled as such) on the new disk
don't you?  I had my netbsd hang in this manner when I was using a
custom kernel that was configured for swap on a disk that I removed
from the system - the result was just as you have described.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.