Subject: Re: Pentium Pro 180 vs Pentium 200?
To: None <zaphod@siscom.net>
From: Hacksaw <hacksaw@user1.channel1.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/16/1996 03:14:39
>Well, because the Pentium Pro is a true 64-bit RISC architecture, and you'll be
>running Unix on it (I assume), definitely get the Pentium Pro.  If you were
>going to run Win95 (not a true 32-bit OS), I'd say the Pentium.  With a true
>32-bit OS like Win NT, OS/2, or Unix, the Pentium Pro 180MHz 256K will run
>circles around a Pentium 200MHz 512K.

Ummm, while I agree with your advice, I don't think you can call the
Pentium Pro a True 64-Bit RISC architecture. I think it's a hybrid
between CISC and RISC, and I think it is 32 bit more purely with some
64 bit stuff added.

In fact, I think the only True 64 bit architecture is the Alpha 21164.

It does suck in 16 bit mode (Win-3.1 + 95). I remember an article
saying that it was actually slower than a Pentium with the same
clockspeed when running 95.
--
Hacksaw