Subject: Re: ppp0: no compressor for [15 3 29], 3 after NetBSD-1.2 upgr
To: None <goneil@corp.tivoli.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/05/1996 11:44:32
>From: "Gregory O'Neil" <goneil@corp.tivoli.com>
>Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 09:20:22 -0600 (CST)

>I'm getting these two lines when I start pppd after my 1.2 upgrade:
>
>ppp0: no compressor for [15 3 29],3
>ppp0: no compressor for [18 4 8],4

Try adding '-bsdcomp' to your options file, and see if this goes
away.  It may also go away if you add 'options PPP_DEFLATE' to your
kernel config and rebuild your kernel.

If you start pppd with the '-d' flag it will log the link negotiation
process (LCP and IPCP); that way you can see which PPP options are
enabled.

>And when doing big ftp transfers across the 28.8 link I occasionally get:

>ppp0: bad fcs #### <-miscellaneous hex values.
>
>While watching pppstats and getting a bad fcs message, I see the inbound
>traffic stall for several seconds (perhaps as much as 15 seconds) and then
>resume.

These are frame checksum errors; you shouldn't get these if your modem
is using V.42 error correction.

>mtu 576

Why so small an MTU?  Why don't you just let pppd negotiate it?

>/netbsd: com2 at isa0 port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5: ns16550a, working fifo
>It's a USRobotics 28800 Sportster internal.

I have the same kind of modem, but the 33.6kbps version.  I haven't
had any problems, but what you see may depend on the quality of your
local phone network and/or your ISP's PPP server.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>