Subject: ppp0: no compressor for [15 3 29], 3 after NetBSD-1.2 upgr
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gregory O'Neil <goneil@corp.tivoli.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/05/1996 09:20:22
Hi All

I'm getting these two lines when I start pppd after my 1.2 upgrade:

ppp0: no compressor for [15 3 29],3
ppp0: no compressor for [18 4 8],4

And when doing big ftp transfers across the 28.8 link I occasionally get:

ppp0: bad fcs f399
ppp0: bad fcs 7d3d
ppp0: bad fcs #### <-miscellaneous hex values.

While watching pppstats and getting a bad fcs message, I see the inbound
traffic stall for several seconds (perhaps as much as 15 seconds) and then
resume.

I only seem to be getting these after upgrading to NetBSD-1.2, perhaps I may
have seen them previously though.

I've looked in the code and found they are being generated out of
'no compress': /usr/src/sys/net/if_ppp.c
'bad fcs':/usr/src/sys/net/ppp_tty.c

But it wasn't any more immediately obvious to me what I've configured
incorrectly. Here's my options file fer reference:

/dev/tty02
38400
defaultroute
lock
mtu 576
modem
login
-detach

and the boot line for the modem is:
/netbsd: com2 at isa0 port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5: ns16550a, working fifo
It's a USRobotics 28800 Sportster internal.

Any sugestions on what these are telling me, an RTFM reference will do, I
havent found pertinent FAQ info for this so far.

Thanks for any insights
Grego O'Neil - Sr. Consultant - Tivoli Systems, Inc - An IBM Company.

All opinions herein are those of the individual and do not represent
those of IBM.