Subject: Assembly language used in NetBSD-i386
To: None <ask@cs.caltech.edu, netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: ASK Master <ask@ask-2.caltech.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/04/1996 14:14:42
I am porting "System A" from a SUN/UNIX to a Pentium-PC that has NetBSD-i386.
System A is almost all in "C", but has a few assembly language procedures
way deep at the bottem of things. Anticipating the port, I reprogrammed
these in Pentium assembly language (RE: Pentium Processors Family Developer's
Mannual, Vol.3), The result does not assemble in my NetBSD. Looking at NetBSD
assembly programs (e.g.: setjmp, /usr/src/lob/libc/arch/i386/gen/setjmp.S)
I see what is probably 386/486 assembly language. Using this clue, I rewrote
my System A assembly procedures and they work.
Questions: a) am I on the right track? b) is there, or will there be, a
NetBSD based on Pentium assembly?
Thank you.    Fred Thompson