Subject: Re: Installation problems
To: None <golding@alpha.fdu.edu>
From: Hacksaw <hacksaw@remote38.channel1.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/02/1996 12:15:28
>boot I receive a "Read error" message. I made sure that the devices I'm
>using is configured correctly, but still receiving the same error. Some
>relevant hardware configuration information:
>	Pentium 133 NEC motherboard
>	IDE adapters
>	IDE hard drive (1623 Mb)

You may be being bit by a BIOS bug (though I am not 100%
sure). Cetrain BIOSes apparently do the wrong thing when starting
NetBSD, and NetBSD boot blocks get confused, giving you that error.

This seems to happen with the Phoenix BIOS mostly.

Has anyone specifically confirmed this? I deduced this, but not in the
most scientific manner.

In any case, try getting a higher BIOS revision, or a new motherboard
with a different BIOS (Award or AMI or something).

Sorry I couldn't be more sure.
--
Hacksaw