Subject: trying to isolate a kermit bug
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim) <jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/26/1996 16:24:53
I've been working on getting a stable NetBSD version of the latest Kermit.

> From fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu Tue Nov 26 15:58:08 1996
> Date: Tue, 26 Nov 96 15:58:35 EST
> From: Frank da Cruz <fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu>
> To: "Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)" <jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
> Subject: Re: C-Kermit 6.0 Final

----  quote ----
Something to the effect that C-Kermit 6.0, which has been built successfully
on hundreds of different UNIX and non-UNIX platforms (i.e. combinations of
OS, OS version, hardware, C compiler and version, etc) has this problem with
NetBSD (version xxx) using gcc (version xxx), in which, if it is built with
the -O (optimize) compiler switch, then the call stack is mangled, and after
a few function calls, a routine returns to never-never land and dumps core.
In the version I (i.e. you) built, this happens in the setlin() routine in
ckuus7.c, and the core dump occurs when you give a command like:

  set line hostname:socket

The makefile has been modified to omit optimization, and unoptimized binaries
-- which seem to work fine -- are being distributed.

- Frank
---- endquote ----

I'm on NetBSD 1.2, which has gcc V2.72.  This bug also got me on a FreeBSD
2.0.5 system, which probably has gcc 2.4.6(?).

Anyone have suggestions how to isolate an optimization-type bug?

-----
 WdUS{+X2e6mt${6._[/<C5~mEVeY5J1,6>U%N~y"Br4L6Lm%S0XI8RRTs"'Dpz]#@hD@I`i@G[Q+'"
 cKd3Acq&}J;,FhT"6d1[H=*<;o2?Z_RK&He4+Td%v3:47/5;A>0mBqsG-KB8l:\43FGDe;U
I don't speak (or work) for the Baltimore County Public Library.
They keep telling me, "Shhhhh!"