Subject: RE: Re: Tyan Tomcat III help...?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: D. J. Newman <newman@cac.psu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/19/1996 09:23:22
> He said Tomcat III, but I think he's really talking about the Tyan Tomcat I
> (single Pentium... AFAIK there is no Tomcat III..)  Tomcat I motherboards
> are defective when dealing with the COAST cache modules and were
> discontinued by Tyan.  Affected boards are the TYAN model number S1562.
> Boards marked S1563 have the 512kb of cache soldered down instead of in  a
> COAST module.

The instruction book for the board lists it as an S1563S (single
pentium), and my dealer calls it a Tomcat III. It looks like the cache
module is soldered down.

> (I got this info from Treasure Chest Computer's Tech support, and I learned
> the hard way that the 1562 is a bummer with 512kb.  A new S1563 Tomcat I
> fixed everything...  I assume no responsibility for this info, although it
> is quite true..  =) )

I'm wondering if there could be speed problems with this board (either
generically, or specifically with my board). I'm trying to run a
Pentium 200, and the problems look to me like a speed problem.

I've also been pretty careful in making sure that all bios "shadowing"
and caching of stuff has been turned off. I'm about to try to slow the
memory down and see if that makes things work better.
--
D. Jay Newman      ! I'm sure he's fine. After all, he's a
newman@cac.psu.edu !            mad scientist!