Subject: Re: Tyan Tomcat III help...?
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Elijah L. Wright <ewright@multipro.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/18/1996 22:14:38
At 08:13 PM 11/18/96 -0500, you wrote:

>>From: "D. J. Newman" <newman@cac.psu.edu>
>>Date: Mon, 18 Nov 96 15:21:33 EST
>>
>>I just found that the problems with the com ports also go away when I
>>disable cache.
>>Is there something special that I should do to get the cache working
>>(assuming that it isn't a bad motherboard in the first place).
>Perhaps you have a memory-mapped peripheral which needs to have its
>memory space marked non-cacheable?

He said Tomcat III, but I think he's really talking about the Tyan Tomcat I
(single Pentium... AFAIK there is no Tomcat III..)  Tomcat I motherboards
are defective when dealing with the COAST cache modules and were
discontinued by Tyan.  Affected boards are the TYAN model number S1562.
Boards marked S1563 have the 512kb of cache soldered down instead of in  a
COAST module.

(I got this info from Treasure Chest Computer's Tech support, and I learned
the hard way that the 1562 is a bummer with 512kb.  A new S1563 Tomcat I
fixed everything...  I assume no responsibility for this info, although it
is quite true..  =) )

Elijah Wright
ewright@multipro.com