Subject: Can't install 1.2; help, please.
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: D. J. Newman <newman@cac.psu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/17/1996 16:19:42
Hi:

I am having problems installing NetBSD-1.2 on a new machine.

Port: i386

Symptoms:

The kernel disk (kcadp12.fs) works fine; it pauses and I put in the
installation disk (inst-12.fs) and it get through all of the
introductory messages (including recognizing all my scsi disks and
adaptor), and freezes when it gets to the line:

(paraphased)

"Type the path of the shell, or press RETURN for /bin/sh: "

It doesn't seem to recognize any keypresses after it prints that line.

Machine:
Tyan Tomcat III
Pentium 200
Adaptec 2940UW (Ultra-Wide)
3 2.1 gig IBM SCSI Ultra-Wide hard disks
64 meg RAM

I tried the install with only 32 meg RAM and the same thing happened.

I tried this both with and without the ethernet board (an NE2000 clone
-- soon to be replaced by an SMC EtherPower PCI board, but thats
backordered).

At this point I can't even make a new kernel because my old NetBSD
machine seems to have died completely!  :(  Something wrong with the
power-supply or switch, because the entire power to the machine is off
and it won't get back up.

*Any* ideas are appreciated at this point.

Also, if anybody in charge of the mailling list is reading this,
please unsubscribe jay@qabalah.cac.psu.edu from any mailling lists,
because thats the machine thats dead. If I can get the old machine up
and running again, I can do this myself, but I don't know when that
will be.
--
D. Jay Newman      ! I'm sure he's fine. After all, he's a
newman@cac.psu.edu !            mad scientist!