Subject: ld: virtual memory exhausted
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/12/1996 09:55:48
	I'm running 1.2 on a Pentium with 32M.  I was compiling X11R6.1,
and at the end of 'making all in lib/X11', I got this error:

ld: virtual memory exhausted

I looked this up in the source for ld to see that it was caused by a
failed malloc.  I bumped up swap from 64M to 200M, but it happened again.
I tried the make again while concurrently piping the output of 'vmstat -w 3'
into a file.  Vmstat showed the fre number getting smaller until I got
the ld error when fre was somewhere less than 3000.  I also tried the make
while running 'pstat -s', but that never showed swap being used at all.

	- Have I misunderstood something in thinking that ld should be using
	  some of that swap space if it needs it?

	- Is it possible that I've compiled a kernel that won't swap to disk?
	  (I started with GENERICADP and only stripped out those things I
	  knew I didn't need.  The config file still has SWAPPAGER.)

	- Could it be some problem with X?  The install document states
	  that, "Use of the GNU assembler, as, or linker, ld, is not
	  supported."  I've compiled X11R6.1 on a Sparc running 1.2, so
	  I assumed it would work, but Sparcs aren't Pentiums.

	If anyone has successfully built X11R6.1 under NetBSD/i386 1.2,
I'd be glad to hear that, too.

Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
Lab Engineer, CS Department
University of Tennessee, Knoxville