Subject: Re: Help
To: None <danielh@oiapoque.bol.com.br>
From: Hacksaw <hacksaw@remote44.channel1.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/07/1996 02:56:55
> Hello.
>
> I am having some questions related to the installation of the
>NetBSD-1.2 into my Hard-disk and I was wondering if anybody there
>know the answer to make the same hard-disk use the Ms dos and NetBSD
>at the time?
> I can't make a backup because my files are very big and I can't
>afford to buy 200 diskettes to make the backup and i have to access
>the net from the pc, so i can't make much mistakes.
>  Thanks in advance for your help.

The restrictions you place on doing this make it very hard to offer
assistance.

While it is possible to make the two systems coexist on one hard drive,
it requires that you repartition your hard drive. This generally can't be
done without data loss on MS-DOS machines. It is theoretically
possible, if you have *NO* data in the latter part of the disk. You
might look into a program to do this repartitioning.

But doing anything without a backup is VERY foolish.

Not having a backup anyway is EXTREMELY foolish.

You should make a backup *NOW*, if you place any value in the files
you currently have, at very least the files your can't get from
somewhere else.

I don't bother to backup executables that I have on the original
install disks (unless it's extremely hard to get replacements for
those disks, but then I just make backups of those disks.), but
everything I personally created gets backed-up immediately.
--
Hacksaw