Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940AU and NetBSD 1.2
To: Allan Strand <astrand@trillium.nmsu.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/04/1996 12:03:14
On Fri, 1 Nov 1996 11:51:48 -0700
 Allan Strand <astrand@trillium.NMSU.Edu> wrote:

 >   vendor 0x9004 product 0x6178 (class mass storage, subclass SCSI,
 >   revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 10 function 0 not configured
 >
 > There is no information about sd0 displayed.
 >
 > After looking in the archives, I noticed that other people in the past
 > have seen similar situations using the 2940 and NetBSD 1.1.  The
 > typical response that they received was, "use 1.2 it has support for
 > the adaptec 2940."

1.2 does support several variants of the 2940.  It appears that you
have one that is slightly different (this happened after 1.1 when adaptec
changed the product number of the 2940; actually, started shipping the
2940U).  The 2940AU appears to be handled differently than the standard
2940 case.

 > Is there some obvious fix for this situation?  I'm slightly suspicious
 > because I have the 2940AU which adaptec has recently introduced,
 > rather than the 2940 which adaptec customer service claims has been
 > discontinued in the last month.  Could this difference be the root of
 > the problem?

See above; That's likely to be the problem.  NetBSD-current does support
the 2940AU.  Perhaps you can get someone to build a kernel for you.