Subject: Adaptec 2940AU and NetBSD 1.2
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allan Strand <astrand@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/01/1996 11:51:48
Hi All,

I've just received a new P133 system with an Adaptec 2940AU PCI-SCSI
adaptor.  I've been trying to boot NetBSD 1.2.
When booting using the kcadp12 floppy, I notice that the kernel can
tell that I've got a SCSI adapter on the machine, but I think it fails to
recognize that there is a disk associated with this adapter.  Here is
a relevant line from bootup:

  vendor 0x9004 product 0x6178 (class mass storage, subclass SCSI,
  revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 10 function 0 not configured

There is no information about sd0 displayed.

After looking in the archives, I noticed that other people in the past
have seen similar situations using the 2940 and NetBSD 1.1.  The
typical response that they received was, "use 1.2 it has support for
the adaptec 2940."

Is there some obvious fix for this situation?  I'm slightly suspicious
because I have the 2940AU which adaptec has recently introduced,
rather than the 2940 which adaptec customer service claims has been
discontinued in the last month.  Could this difference be the root of
the problem?

Thanks for any advice,
Allan

Allan E. Strand                Internet:   astrand@evolution.nmsu.edu
Department of Biology
New Mexico State University    Phone:      (505) 646-1150
Las Cruces, New Mexico  88003  FAX:        (505) 646-5665