Subject: Re: NCR SCSI
To: Mark Willey <willeyma@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/26/1996 12:36:09
According to Mark Willey:

>> I know a name to avoid:  SC200
>>
>> I had one of these suckers and it just would not work in my Pentium
>> motherboard - not even in DOS.  I swapped the board with a friend for
>
><...>
>
>I've got one that works very well.  Never had a problem with it...

Is that in a ASUS Pentium Motherboard?  I did try the thing in a PCI
486 board and it worked fine, I tried it in both P/I-P55SP4 and
P/I-P55TP4N motherboards and it failed miserably.  I had someone else
try it in their ASUS Motherboard (not sure of the model) and he said
it worked ok.  So it seems, as with a lot of PC hardware, YMMV.

I did make sure I had the latest bios & etc.  I did get it working
with a 486 and hence had a "known good" set of scsi cables, devices
and so on.  I could never get the thing to work properly - the best it
would do was, under DOS, sort of read the disk but when you tried
DOS file system (my backup tape got a real work out during this time ;-)

All I can say is that I had nothing but trouble with the SC200 card,
as soon as I put a different NCR card in the machine everything worked
fine and has been doing so for months.  This is with a P/I-P55TP4N
motherboard.

BTW during this playing I found there is a _big_ speed difference
between the SiS and the Triton motherboards, at least with the two I
tried there was.  About a factor of 2 in favour of the Triton!

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.