Subject: Re: NCR SCSI
To: Zach Fine <czyz@u.washington.edu>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/25/1996 09:22:33
Zach Fine <czyz@u.washington.edu>  wrote:

 > Brett Lymn (blymn@awadi.com.au) said:
 >
 > >I know a name to avoid:  SC200
 > >I had one of these suckers and it just would not work in my Pentium
 > >motherboard - not even in DOS.
 > ... rest deleted
 >
 > I'm almost positive that the SC200 will only work with specific ASUS
 > brand motherboards.  These particular motherboards have some of the
 > SCSI hardware built in and are designed to enable the use of the
 > SC200.
 >
 > NCR makes other SCSI cards for use with non-ASUS motherboards.
 >
 > I have heard that the SC200 is a good, inexpensive SCSI card if you've
 > got an ASUS motherboard.  Any ethical salesperson should've told you
 > not to buy the SC200 unless you own an ASUS motherboard.

I have a non-ASUS motherboard (Gigabyte I think is what it's called)
and it has an SC200 in it that the machine boots off of.  There is
no scsi-hardware on the motherboard itself and unless I'm mistaken,
there's no NCR firmware in the BIOS.  At least, the motherboard
manual makes no mention of NCR firmware.  The BIOS is Award.