Subject: Re: NCR SCSI
To: Zach Fine <czyz@u.washington.edu>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/25/1996 19:20:35
According to Zach Fine:

>I'm almost positive that the SC200 will only work with specific ASUS
>brand motherboards.

Not with the two ASUS Pentium mother boards I tried - both the SiS and
Triton chipset boards (SP55N and TP55N I think they were) failed to
work with the SC200.

>  These particular motherboards have some of the
>SCSI hardware built in and are designed to enable the use of the
>SC200.

Yeah, they have the bios for the NCR scsi controller in the
motherboard bios.  It works with the "other" card I got just fine.

>I have heard that the SC200 is a good, inexpensive SCSI card if you've
>got an ASUS motherboard.  Any ethical salesperson should've told you
>not to buy the SC200 unless you own an ASUS motherboard.

Sigh, I did buy an ASUS motherboard along with my SC200 in the belief
that they were supposed to work together.  They did not.  The card
worked ok in a PCI 486 motherboard but not any Pentium I tried.  YMMV.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.