Subject: Re: logging ftpd transfers
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul M. Newhouse <newhouse@pimin.diac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/22/1996 02:03:47
On Sun, 22 Sep 1996 02:28:42 -0500
    Matthew Patton <patton@sysnet.net> writes:
>I can't seem to figure out how to have syslog log all ftpd.info
>messages.  According to the ftpd.c source, it makes an ident called
>'ftpd' and facility LOG_FTP.  so what entries do I put in
>/etc/syslog.conf for it do it's thing?
>
>I have:
>ftpd.info	/var/log/ftplog
>
>isn't this correct?

I had the same problem with getting pppd to log correctly.

I made the following additions to syslog.h:

    $ what syslog.h;diff syslog.h.BAK syslog.h
    syslog.h
            syslog.h        8.1 (Berkeley) 6/2/93
    133a134,135
    >       "pppd",         LOG_DAEMON,

I also found that syslogd was only restarting the first time I hup'd it.
So, I made the following change which seems to correct that.

    $ what syslogd.c ; diff syslogd.c.BAK syslogd.c
    syslogd.c
             Copyright (c) 1983, 1988 Regents of the University of California.\n\
            syslogd.c       5.45 (Berkeley) 3/2/91
    302d301
    <       (void) signal(SIGHUP, init);
    893a893
    >               (void) signal(SIGHUP, init);
    951a952
    >       (void) signal(SIGHUP, init);

A cursory look at syslogd.c indicated that this

    pppd.*  /var/log/pppd

should have worked.  It didn't seem to but,

    *.*		/var/log/pppd

did? Well, except that I got EVERYTHING not just the pppd stuff.
I figure I must have been doing something amazingly stupid but, I
couldn't see what it was.

Anyone care to enlighten us "syslog impaired" folks?

Hope this helps,
Paul