Subject: Re: News Server - Increasing disk performance?
To: Melody Lynn Yoon <melody@voicenet.com>
From: John D. Smerdon <jds@smerdon.livonia.mi.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/14/1996 17:19:48
At 03:16 PM 09/14/96, Melody Lynn Yoon wrote:
>One thing you failed to mention was the size of your history database.
>Since the history database is a DBM format file and has to be referenced
>often, INN stores the *whole* database in memory.. which means that if
>your database is larger than the amount of available memory on the
>machine, it has to swap out to the disk as it searches through the
>database which means slow returns and lots of paging... And since the disk
>is paging, it takes time to write articles to the disk.
>
>In general, it's best to go 1.5 times the size of your history database.
>This means if you have a 128MB database, you should go to 196 MB of ram
>minimally.

The history file is 138MB and the history.pag file in 9MB.  I have always
seen it reply to an IHAVE within 3ms, so I always figured enough (or all)
of the history.pag file is in memory.

Perhaps I need to reduce the quantity of news that I am keeping to fit
within my current memory.  I will be upgrading from 32MB to 128MB in the
next couple weeks, but the memory won't arrive soon enough.

Thanks for the info!

--
John D. Smerdon;  Livonia, Michigan, USA;  Contents are my opinion.
Home: jds@smerdon.livonia.mi.us