Subject: Re: calloc() and free() ps doesn'r report memory being freed, why?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hacksaw <hacksaw@venus.gsd.harvard.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/30/1996 22:23:23
>follow the standard in that respect.  I would consider it very poor
>programming practice to assume that because you just free()d N bytes that
>you will be able to sucessfully malloc() than many again.  *Always* check
>allocations!

I have always been confused on this point. Is it the case that once
you request memory from the system, it is (supposedly) with you until
you exit completely? Isn't this a bit of a waste these days?

I have certainly had time where I had 15 large files open in emacs or
several in xv, and then found or fixed what I wanted, and went back
down to 1 or 2. But I still have all that free space?

--
Hacksaw