Subject: Re: Netscape strange behaviors
To: NetBSD-Help <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bruce Drake <bruce@synxcti.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/25/1996 12:54:03
On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Dante Profeta wrote:

> I've got some strange problems with Netscape bsdi (3.05b but also with
> the previous versions):
>
> 1) For every dialog window I open I get a dialog named "Netscape:
> subprocess diagnostic (stdout/stderr)", with the message "Warning:
> Actions not found: no-op".
> I'm sure the file XKeysymDB is installed and readed (otherwise I'd get
> more warnings).

It's a beta release, don't worry yet.

> 2) For every applets Java I run I get some "Netscape: Alert" dialog with
> the message: "JavaScript Error: couldn't create AppletClassLoader for
> JavaScript".
> The Java applications indeed doesen't want to work at all.
> I created a dir /usr/local/netscape/java/classes containing the file
> moz3_0.zip owned by root with 555 mod bits.

This problem appears under Linux 1.2.13 and 1.3.20 also.  I ascribe this
problem to old Java/JavaScript scripts created before the current language
definitions or something related to problems in the beta release.  If
Netscape 2.02 doesn't work, you are at the mercy of the script author.

A site that works under 2.0x but not under 3.0 beta, try:

http://www.riddler.com

Sometimes is doesn't run well under 2.01 either :-)

Bruce Drake
Synectics, Inc.
(919) 872-1275 USA