Subject: Re: DDB and mb_map full (i386)
To: John D. Smerdon <jds@smerdon.livonia.mi.us>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/11/1996 19:26:08
On Thu, 11 Jul 1996 19:26:21 -0400
 jds@smerdon.livonia.mi.us (John D. Smerdon) wrote:

 > Today, after being up for 51 days, it dropped into the debugger with (I
 > think) "mb_map full".  I think this was the second time this happened.

You can alleviate this (a little) by increasing the value of NMBCLUSTERS
to some number like 1024 (or 2048 or 4096, depending on how busy you
expect your server to be).  The default is 256 (512 with options
GATEWAY).  This value is quite often too small for a busy network
server.

This is fixed in NetBSD 1.2 ... when the mb_map fills up, an attempt is
made to reclaim map space.

 > If I comment out "options DDB", will it automatically reboot instead of
 > dropping into the debugger?  Are there any problems with doing this?

Yes, but if you remove "DDB", make sure to _completely_ rebuild your
kernel.  Lots of files have "#ifdef DDB" in them.

 > Is it worth *your* time for me to send-pr a stack trace when panics happen?
 > Or is there something else that I should do?

The trick is, that a stack trace for this is often different from one
panic to another.  The reason why the panic happened was pretty well
understood.

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --