Subject: Major Personal Panic
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ron Copley <copley1@pandora.marshall.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/28/1996 19:56:45
OK, what has happened to me is this:

In a nutshell, all the data has virtually disappeared off one of my
partitions. I had /dev/wd1c mounted on /home/mue57.marshall.edu and
/dev/wd1g was unconfigured. I mounted /dev/wd1g on /mnt and newfs'ed it.
Exited out of my su and got a message that my home directory didn't
exist. I pwd, and it was there. I ls and it was there. I log out and log
back in and nothing is there. I panic. I have a lot of users and my
machine is a research machine, so all my project data is there as well. I
log in as root and do a df... it says that I'm still occupying 170MB on
my /dev/wd1c. I do an ls... it says that nothing is there except '.' and
'..'. I panic more, but in a new and different way. So, I fire up fsdb
and still there's a problem and it doesn't seem to be as useful as I
thought it would in rebuilding the filesystem whilst retaining my data.
So, I break down and run fsck. It finds files, but only asks if I want to
deallocate the inodes belonging to them. No, I don't want to delete the
data, I want to save its poor little life. So, by now my panic includes
running in circles and issuing a high, mournful wailing sound. The awful
thing is, I'd just switched to NetBSD from Linux, because NetBSD is
smaller, faster and more familiar to me (SS1+ at home with SunOS 4.1.3).
Also, I'd newfs'ed the /dev/wd1g partition in order to use it for
backups! If there's any possible way of recovering this filesystem, I
would really, REALLY appreciate finding out. So, if anyone out there can
help, please do.

Note: I'm not a newcomer, so no, my disktab entries do not overlap.

Cheers,
Ron