Subject: Exporting Ether IP addr over PPP
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ernst du Toit <et@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/21/1996 08:53:09
Hi

I did this a while back, but now my mind is not recalling... or maybe I am
doing it wrong.

I'm running NetBSD/i386-1.1 current-ish all works fine, but I'm fighting
with mail (maybe my aproach is the problem - any sugestions will be welcome)
I've got a MX entry in the DNS to a box at ctech that spools mail for me.
I've also configured sendmail on my box to use the ctech spooler as a smart
hub - that bit works fine I can send, but not @#$# receive.

I'm running PPP to CTECH and I've placed my ethernet adapter's IP in the DNS
for my box, since my PPP IP is dynamically allocated for the session - from
a CISCO 2509 access-router.

I'm sending RIP down from ctech to my box and get all the routes ok, but I
don't get any RIPs going upstream to the CISCO so that it can tell the world
that my box is on-line. Putting a static route in for the session makes all
the problems go away, but my serial IP can and WILL change.

Running routed with a trace shows RIPs going out... last time I did it I had
other machines hanging off the ethernet and they could get out fine - using
RIP. Currently I only have my primary box up, but intend getting the other
box de-mothballed rsn.

Any suggestions?
et
--
Ernst J. du Toit (TED5)           Internet: ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za
School of Electrical Engineering  BELTEL  : 175250 / Amateur Radio: ZR1ABB