Subject: tty0{0,1}
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hacksaw <hacksaw@venus.gsd.harvard.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/18/1996 01:52:26
So I was setting up Xfree, and decided it would be good to see if my
somewhat abused mouse works. So I do cu -s 1200 -l /dev/tty00 to see
if when I move the mouse I get short bits of apparent gibberish.

No Go. I was a little perplexed though, because it been abused, but
not that badly. So I hook a terminal up to the line, and start a getty
on it. Nothing. Doing ttyflags on it suddenly allows it to echo
characters back, but no communication to the rest of the world.

Strangely enough, there are 9 gettys running; 7 for the other pcvt
terminals, and two that are not associated with a terminal.

I would guess that last one should be a bug, getty should always run
only a terminal?

CU freaks out and dies with a write error if I try and type anything to
either of the lines.

I even tried using a com port card, and disabling the ones on the
motherboard. Same result.

The kernal does report their apparent presence at startup, and iostat
usually says that some small number of characters has gone out, and 1
has come in.

Any ideas? Help?
--
Hacksaw