Subject: nfs mount/umount
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@hotdog.ping.apana.org.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/06/1996 21:16:25
Hi there,

I have a diskless Sun 3/60 which I use as an X-Terminal since NetBSD
doesn't have a Xserver supporting the Diamond Stealth Trio 64 graphics
card on an DEC alpha based AXPpci system.

The Sun boots diskless of the nfs-server and mounts the /usr/xkernel
and /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts directories alright. It then comes up
with the xdm login screen and will run all X-sessions without a hitch.
When logging out and switching of the Sun, the nfs-server still shows
the nfs-mounted directories (showmount command).

The problem now is, when returning the Sun into service, it will try
to nfs-mount the directories - which the server believes havn't been
umounted from the previous session and mountd on the nfs-server dies.

I can't get the X-Terminal up and running unless I reboot the
nfs-server. What do I need to do in order to reboot the X-Terminal
without rebooting the nfs-server?

I relise that the NetBSD-alpha port of nfs is buggy, but there must be
an easier way in dealing with the above problem.

Is there a way out?

Many thanks in advance

cheerio Berndt
--