Subject: Trouble with WD8216C card.
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom Trebisky <tom@aspc15.as.arizona.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/22/1996 17:26:24
I have just acquired 2 of these (SMC 8216C cards), and thought I would
try replacing my WD8013 with them, to see if things go faster
(they also provide UTP ethernet jacks, which will soon be a
 *good thing* around here).

I swapped them in today, hardware jumpered to io address 0x300,
irq10, iomem 0xcc000  -- just like the 8013 they replace.  On
booting the kernel, the probe finds them fine and reports all
the right numbers, and notes they are using the AUI connector, which
is true, but further along (after the "starting network"), I get
ed0, device timeout over an over and over ....  And the network is
basically dead, I can ping nothing (the machine does eventually
come up after things time out).  Incidently the T/R light on the
8216C is on steadily, which doesn't seem right.

I am running stock NetBSD 1.1 on a 486 machine, altho I have
rebuilt my kernel (which is why this set of hardware settings is
found as ed0).
Does anyone have any idea what I should do to make these cards work?
It could be they are just faulty, I tried both and they gave the
same nonsense.  I should check them out with the diagnostic disk
under DOS to verify gross functionality ...

Is anyone successfully using the SMC 8216C card with NetBSD 1.1
or otherwise?  If so, I would like to hear from you just to
know what can work.  For now I am back to my 8013 card...

Thanks!

	Tom
--
	Tom Trebisky			Steward Observatory