Subject: Re: Problems with adding memory (486)
To: Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
From: Martin Konold <zxmmz01@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/29/1996 20:22:21
On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, Chad Mynhier wrote:

> 	I recently purchased 4 4M SIMMs and installed them into
> my 486 running NetBSD-1.1.  After installing the memory, I got
> segmentation faults from vi, man, less, getty, and login.  I've
> read that this is indicative of bad memory, so I returned the
> memory.  I received replacements and got the same behavior.
> Before I go through the replacement cycle again, I'd like to
> make sure that there's nothing I can do to fix the problem.  I
> borrowed a copy of Norton Utilities and checked the memory under
> DOS, but nothing showed up.  I had a friend suggest that I increase

What kind of 486 do you have.
Norton Utilities does certainly not detect bad memory if it is not completely
broken.
I really do recommend using gcc and a kernel recompile.
If you get signal 11 from gcc I bet it is a hardware problem.

Yours,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Muenzgasse 7, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  //
// Email: zxmmz01@fiwi02.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de            //
//    http://www.schwaben.de/linux                        //
Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in
whole or in part.   License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft
for $299. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms.