Subject: Re: problem booting from hard drive after install
To: Tony Linthicum <linth@stumpjumper.mti.sgi.com>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/29/1996 09:25:56
On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, Tony Linthicum wrote:

> the problem almost certainly has something to do with my disk drive
> and controller setup.  here are the details:
>
> 	o 1gb EIDE drive.
>
> 	o in-board primary IDE controller.  this controller itself
> 	  cannot handle seek commands to cylinders greater than 1024.
> 	  it also cannot be disabled or made a secondary controller.
>
> 	o secondary EIDE controller with on-board BIOS.  while there
> 	  are no drives attached to this controller, its BIOS supercedes
> 	  the system BIOS.  at boot time, it is remapped into upper memory
>           at D000-DBFF and it translates the geometry of the drive to
> 	  527,64,63 from 2114,16,63.  the BIOS controls both controllers,
> 	  and translates all requests from L-CHS to LBA.  apparently,
> 	  the secondary controller actually issues the LBA format commands
> 	  to the drive.

	I may be missing something here, but have you tried plugging the
	drive into the second controller, or pulling the second controller
	out of the machine altogther?

                   David/abs             (david@mono.org)

+44 181 888 8949 System Manager, Southern Studios Ltd, Box 59, London N22 1AR
 >=- OpenBSD http://www.openbsd.org. Free un*x for {sparc,i386,m68k,...} -=<
       <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.org >>>