Subject: Problems with adding memory (486)
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/28/1996 15:30:54
	I recently purchased 4 4M SIMMs and installed them into
my 486 running NetBSD-1.1.  After installing the memory, I got
segmentation faults from vi, man, less, getty, and login.  I've
read that this is indicative of bad memory, so I returned the
memory.  I received replacements and got the same behavior.
Before I go through the replacement cycle again, I'd like to
make sure that there's nothing I can do to fix the problem.  I
borrowed a copy of Norton Utilities and checked the memory under
DOS, but nothing showed up.  I had a friend suggest that I increase
the number of wait states, but I haven't given that a try yet.  I'm
hoping that someone has had some experience with this and can help
me out.  If it turns out that the memory isn't bad and I just haven't
done "the right thing", they'll probably stop sending me replacement
memory eventually.

Thanks
Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
Sorcerer's Apprentice, CS Department