Subject: Re: sendmail.cf
To: Stefan Monnier <stefan.monnier@lia.di.epfl.ch>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/22/1996 16:16:50
According to Stefan Monnier:

>> O'Reilly & Associates have a wonderful book from which to learn all about
>> sendmail -- and it's about 800 pages long.
>
>Funny thing: with the m4 configuration scheme in newer sendmails, I haven't
>had to deal with sendmail.cf and the configuration process was very smooth.

Ahhh.... then you aren't trying hard enough (TM)  ;-)

When you have a networks that has four or five geographically
separated servers, a few gateways to other mail systems and the like
then you will find that the standard m4 macros just don't seem to do
what you want and you need to fall back on inserting your own rewrite
rules into the sendmail.cf.

I found the O'Reilly "Bat" book invaluable - before it came out I
could not make much sense of the sendmail.cf, after reading the book I
was able to hack away at our sendmail.cf's to make them do what I
wanted.  Highly recommended :-)

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.