Subject: Re: Connecting to an internet unix
To: None <saausa@wurley.apana.org.au>
From: Robert Kennedy <robert@Theory.Stanford.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/20/1996 11:18:27
> I have installed the NetBSD & everything seems ok, now I just want to
> connect by modem to another unix, this unix (server u may call it) has a
> internet connection I would like to connect my unix to this one so I can
> use the services such as irc, news, etc.
> What do I need and what prgs?

You need either tip or kermit, preferably the latter. Get it from
kermit.columbia.edu by anonymous ftp.

> How it is set up?

It comes with instructions.

> Do I need to connect using SLIP login to the other unix?

No. You can get SLIP (or better yet PPP) running, though, if you want
to.

> Is it possible using a shell instead SLIP?

Yes. Kermit will let you do this.

In another message, you write:
> Would anyone like to explain 'sendmail.cf' how to set up?
> Is there a doc that describe this file?

Yes, someone would like to explain it, but that someone isn't me. Get
Avolio and Vixie's book, "Sendmail: Theory and Practice" (or something
like that) published by Digital Press, and get the three-inch-thick
O'Reilly and Associates sendmail book (can't remember the authors'
names). Or get a competent friend to set up your sendmail.cf for you.

Setting up sendmail.cf takes a real time investment if you want to do
it yourself and you've never done it before.

	-- Robert Kennedy