Subject: Re: Questions
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/20/1996 16:08:35
Hi Salvatore,

> * While the booting the system 'loadbsd -a netbsd' I log in as root later
>   after logged in it tells me not to use 'root' use 'su', so I tried that
>   but it always ask for password for 'su' that I don't know I tried 'su',
>   password, also (enter) as password but it tells me incorrect.

This message means that you should create another user on your system,
e.g. "saausa" the one you are using to send you mail. The procedure
how to do this is written in the man-page 'adduser'.
Do a 'man adduser' and read carefully. Follow all the steps.
After that, you can log in as the new user with the new pasword.

If you need to do system-administration work, which only the system-administrator
can do (root), the you log in with your new name and password. After
that you issue the command 'su'. This prompts you for a password. Give
it the root password and you can now work as root. The message you see
'don't log in as root, use su' means that you should log in as someone else
and use the command su, OK?! :-)

> * I notice some other prgs & utilities in the /contrib dir like Elm,
>   adduser, etc I not too sure where I can I add these what's a good place
>   to add utilities or network prgs and others in my system.

Hmm, people have different opinions on this one. Some use /usr/local to
install other software. I prefer /opt, but that's really up to you.

  Guenther