Subject: Re: Network configuration problems
To: Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
From: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/20/1996 08:17:48
On Tue, 19 Mar 1996 13:43:32 +0000  mynhier@cs.utk.edu wrote:

> 	1. ifconfig ep0 inet <address> netmask <netmask> broadcast
> 		<broadcast address>
>
> 		I do this on each machine (ceres and callisto).
> 		Ifconfig -a then reports that the interface is up.

Is it also marked RUNNING?  Also, unless you are doing something
strange, netmask & broadcast can usually be omitted...

> 	2. route add ceres callisto (on callisto)
> 	   route add callisto ceres (on ceres)

This is probably your problem.  If ceres and callisto has the same
network number (they should, they are on the same wire right?; note
that network number == network portion of the ip number), you
don't need routes.  The kernel knows to do the right thing automagically...