Subject: Network configuration problems
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/19/1996 13:43:32
	I have two 486 machines running 1.1.  Each has a 3c509.
I'm trying to get them to talk to each other, but can't get the
two to talk to each other.  The obvious question is, are they
physically connected to each other -- yes, and the cable is terminated
on each end.

	The steps I'm going through are as follows:

	1. ifconfig ep0 inet <address> netmask <netmask> broadcast
		<broadcast address>

		I do this on each machine (ceres and callisto).
		Ifconfig -a then reports that the interface is up.

	2. route add ceres callisto (on callisto)
	   route add callisto ceres (on ceres)

		Netstat -r (on callisto) then says that the route
		to ceres is through the ep0 interface on callisto,
		and vice versa for ceres.

	At this point I can ping each machine from itself, but I can't
ping the other machine.  If anyone can tell me what I need to at this
point, please do so.  I'd also like to know what man page/document
would have told me the right thing to do.

Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
Sorcerer's Apprentice, CS Department
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
WWW: http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mynhier/