Subject: Re: I remember seeing something about using PPP in parallel
To: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
From: Amir Y. Rosenblatt <amir@garpac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/19/1996 09:30:28
On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, John Maier wrote:

> There was a message some time ago stating that the PPP in 1.1 might or is
> capable of spreading data over multiple line for higher bandwidth.  I.e.
> I could use 2 28.8 modems to get a total of 57K band width but I would
> just see channel.
>
> True, lies, pipe dreams, or do I need to go back to school to learn how
> to read?

Well, there's a program for BSDI called mslip which can do channel
bonding to turn 2 modems into a single 56k channel (though you'll need to
have something compatible on the other end I would think).  I believe
it's available at ftp.bsdi.com.  A couple months ago, when I was using
FreeBSD on my office machine, I exchanged some mail with the author.  The
version at ftp.bsdi.org is apparently pretty old and he has since ported
it to FreeBSD 1.x, 2.0.5 and 2.1.  I hadn't asked him about NetBSD
because I hadn't been planning on using NetBSD at that point.  He did
mention that the current version is NOT public domain software, though he
didn't specify what sort of purchase or license arrangements he might be
willing to make.  I still have his address and will fire off some mail to
him todday.

Alternatively, some of Telebit's Netblazer products can do this as well.
The Netblazer PN-4 has 4 serial ports and can multiplex any number of
them.  I think you'll need your access provider to have one on their end
as well.  I know that at least one of my provider's clients is doing this
now and it seems to be working fine for him.  I think there's also a 2
port Netblazer.  They are pricey, though.  The PN-4 lists for about 2K.
The 2-port is somewhat cheaper but still over 1K.  Check out
http://www.telebit.com for more info on those.  I do not know whether or
not mslip is compatible with the Netblazers (so that if your provider has
a Netblazer already you could use mslip to connect and thus not have to
shell out the money to put a Netblazer on your end of the connection)
though I tend to dounbt it (I'm pretty sure the Netblazers use PPP for
the bonding).

	-Amir