Subject: Problems w/1.1 Networking (i386)
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tank <Tank@pg.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/14/1996 12:22:33
Greets All-

        I'm having a problem with NetBSD v1.1 networking, and am hoping
someone can help me out.

The install went fine, I was able to manually config my ether interface with:

        ifconfig ep0 206.68.39.8 netmask 0xffffff00 link0 link1

I then had the machine booting and enabling ep0 with the following in my
hostname.ep0 file:

        inet Mars.PG.NET 0xffffff00 206.68.39.255 link0 link1

I then went to add the default route to our gateway router by putting it's
Name, and address in hosts, and then putting the routers name in
/etc/mygate.

After rebooting, the machine hangs at Starting Network.

I am able enter <CR>s at this point but it never goes any further.... if I
boot from floppy, and remove the hostname.ep0 file, it tries to add the
default route, times out, and continues booting fine, and, once booted, if
I "ifconfig" the interface, it works fine....

I tried hardcoding the ifconfig statement into my netstart file, and
removing the segment that loads the hostname.* files, but it still hangs at
the same point....

Has anyone seen this behavior before, or have any ideas on how to fix it??

Tnx

Tank (SPM)                 Sean P. McNamara
                           The Planet Group, Inc.
Tank@PG.NET                Design, Communications, and Technology
                           Voice: (312) 772-8333
                           Fax:   (312) 772-9214