Subject: Re: Can NetBSD 1.1 run a linux ELF binary??
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/11/1996 07:19:22
blymn@awadi.com.AU (Brett Lymn)  wrote:
 >         I had a quick try at running xquake on my NetBSD 1.1 box (a
 > 486DX/66).  It kept coming back with a exec format error when I tried.
 > The file command says xquake is a 32Bit ELF type file, the linux ldd
 > will not tell me squat (I get the same exec format error).

Check that your libraries are ELF libraries. Also check that your ld.so
is ELF.  Also, you need a more current kernel to run xquake than 1.1
for various reasons...

 > Now before people start pointing at my config, let me say that I can
 > run the Linux {s,x}doom fine on my machine, so I reckon my config is

'doom' et'al are a.out, not elf.  The fact that you can run doom means
that you can't run xquake...

And I remember some clown at Usenix saying "Linux is the right answer"...