Subject: IDE drivers
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tony Linthicum <linth@stumpjumper.mti.sgi.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/05/1996 15:01:20
i'm planning on installing NetBSD 1.1 from scratch using the kcoth11
and inst11 floppies on my i486 based machine, and i have some
questions about the kernel's recognition of IDE drivers.  the
installation guide seems to suggest that the kernel will only detect
one IDE controller (wdc0, port 0x1f0, irq 14).  i have an IDE
controller on the motherboard, and an additional EIDE controller on an
add-in board.  i plan to install NetBSD on my 2nd drive, which is
connected to the secondary (EIDE) controller, and i intend to keep DOS
on the other drive which is connected to the primary, on-board
controller.  do(es) the kcoth11/inst11 kernel(s) have the capability
to recognize more than one IDE/EIDE controller, or will i have to get
a custom kernel built before i can install from floppies onto my
second hard drive?

thanks.

tony