Subject: lpd printers on terminal servers
To: netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Burns, Scott <scott.burns@labatt.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/05/1996 10:58:37
I have a situation which happened on my Suns's under Solaris V2.4 and I have
now replicated it on my NetBSD boxes. Sun was less than helpful so I thought
I might try here ;-)

I have a Xyplex Terminal server with a few HP printers hanging off the unit.
The Xyplex server provides LPD services and each port on the terminal server
with a printer attached gets a different queue name, When I set these up
under printcap on NetBSD all works great, until one of the printers is
off-line or out of paper etc. The NetBSD box will not send print jobs to any
printers on that server as it appears if one queue is down at an IP address
it thinks all queues associated with that address are down. Once that
printer has it's paper refilled etc. all queues start up again. I know it's
not a terminal server problem as our VAXen running VMS and Multinet LPD/LPR
still print fine to the queue's which are not out of paper etc. on that
server.

Anyone seen this before ? Are there any add on packages for Sun and/or
NetBSD  which will replace the standard BSD and/or SVR4 lp utilities and not
have this restriction ? The Sun queue's are my real concern at the moment so
that package does not have to work with NetBSD right away.

scott
scott.burns@labatt.com