Subject: Kernel doesn't recognize 2940
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Wiley <greg@loop.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/04/1996 11:01:52
According to some reponses, it seems that the 1.1 kernel does not
support the AHA-2940U cards (which it seems are what we have).

I patched the aic7870.c source to use an alternate id (8178 instead
of 7178) and now the card is recognized just fine.  I can get to the
disks on the SCSI bus.

My question is:  was my change sufficient?  Are there some other
differences I need to be aware of?  I can partition the disk and
make a filesystem on it, however, I did get a timeout from the
controller driver when attempting to read a specific file.  I don't
know if this is due to the driver or some other problem.  I'm remaking
the filesystem to see if the problem re-occurs.

I'm also not sure whether I should leave the 2940 BIOS on or off.  The
system appears to work either way.

Thanks,

  -greg