Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.1 will not boot from floppy for me
To: None <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/31/1996 08:56:16
>        I am running NetBSD 1.1 on a 486DX/33 with a bunch of generic
>hardware.  The problem I have is that I cannot boot the 1.1 boot
>disk - actually, this is a slight exageration - the floppy boots up
>but when it gets to the point of changing the root device to be the
>floppy the thing goes toes up.  This happens with the kc_adp-1.1,
>install and upgr-1.1 disks.

A similar thing happened for me.

>This is not really a show stopper but I would like to have some
>bootable floppies just in case things go AFU.

To a degree, I think it is a show stopper.

>BTW my I have one single 5.25" floppy drive in my system FWIW.

I never got 1.1 to boot on my 486DX/33 until I put 3.5" floppy drive
for drive fd0.

In looking at where it paniced, I think it had a problem with mounting
the root device when it is a 5.25" floppy drive.  I couldn't be sure
because it reboots so fast after a panic.

By the way, I think there should be a delay after printing the panic
message and the reboot just to make sure that someone at the console
can read the message.  This should be without the kernel debugger
enabled!  (How could someone build a new kernel when they can't even
get it booted on their system.)

*I* think that this should be fixed and have a new set of boot floppies
built that does allow booting from a 5.25" floppy.

--
Phil Nelson
e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu